Thursday, May 26, 2016

A conversation with David Vigil

Toward the east end of Canyon Road, there is a small collection of folk art galleries next to a café I visit occasionally. Almost every time I have been in the area, a man sits outside playing classical guitar or painting. This time I decided to pay him a visit to learn more about him. This artist’s name is David Vigil, and he is perhaps one of the most deep-rooted artists on Canyon Road. Born and raised in the area, Vigil was surrounded by artists throughout his childhood. He picked up techniques here and there, and eventually went on to study art and music at the University of New Mexico. Now he paints professionally, and sometimes performs solo or collaborative concerts.
David Vigil playing guitar in front of his gallery
            Vigil is eccentric at first glance. His hair is dyed bright red, he almost always wears sunglasses, and sports a wide-brimmed hat. He has a unique manner of speaking in that he seems to choose his words carefully, and exudes an especially bright and positive outlook on life. His first words to me were about how he was happy to be alive today. Though he is a man who was born into a very different version of the artist’s life on Canyon Road, he has embraced its changes and takes it all in stride.

He said he thought it was amazing that one could post something on the internet and it could be viewed by anyone who was interested. He passed me a paper with his YouTubechannel on it, beneath a colorful painting of the Loretto Chapel with the St. Francis Cathedral in the background. The YouTube channel, he said, has over 400 videos of him playing guitar and painting, but it’s not about getting more views or attention. It’s about being able to express himself and put his work on display.
"Loretto Sunset" by David Vigil
“Artists see a limitation in the vernacular of language,” he said. “I use my art to get my emotions out. Some people can be fatalistic, but I like to think I have a way to change things.”
            As we were talking, he plucked out riffs on his guitar here and there. He had a lot to say about living life to the fullest, and even made it a point to tell me three maxims before I left:
            “The first thing is the greatest wealth and beauty is in simply being alive,” he said. “Second, methinks the earth rotates around the sun, and not around the economy – or the election.”

            The last thing he wanted to make sure to tell me was that life is a gift, and each moment from the beginning to the end is beautiful. By the time the conversation was winding down, I felt like I’d known him a long time. He said goodbye as if I was family, and gave me a hug before returning to his guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment